I have wanted to do super detailed chopper that was not based on the new Revell choppers for some time now. I recently picked up a vintage Revell "Chain Gang".
I want to build a bike with a Swedish flavor....long and lean. This kit definitley shows its age though. The motor is a pre1970 shovelhead,but it does not have much detail. The plan here is to use the crankcase ,but the cylinders heads etc will come from an Imai Harley kit.
I am using the 300mm Metzler tire from Model Martin for the rear. Here you can see the difference between the kit rubber and the 300 Metzler.
I have widened the rear of the hard tail frame, and added the rake to the front end. I am not sure if I will use the coffin tank or not. Heres a couple of shots that will give you the idea of the final look.
The coffin tank has to go. I made a new teardrop style tank by tanking a stock Harley tank and piecuttuing it.
Its still in the rough here, but you get the idea.
I really wanted ti sue the pre '70 crankcase , so I cut off the cylinders and used cylinders from an Imai Harley kit. I also used the oil pump ( the small gray box on the lower corner), the pushrod mounts, and scratchbuilt a magneto (the white box on the front). the detail of the Imai cylinders are much better than the old Revell motor.
The Imai rocker covers are nice.....they have decent bolt detail,but notice the seem on the side. Theese will be cleaned up and sent off to be rechromed.
Hopefully more pics to some later tonite ....I am working to get the frame finished up and a new seatpan made.
The more I looked at the bike the more I did not like the tear drop tank. It sat too high and looked funny if I dropped it. After a coat of Tamiya primer I realized it was all wrong for the bike ,and tried the coffin tank again, after some subtle reshapping that is what I used. The tank was molded into the frame, and I filled in the bottom of the tank. The back fender was shaped similar to the seat pan and a tailight was molded in. The tailight lens in the pic is a piece of stretched transparent red sprue. I made a seat out of halfround styrene. Doesn't look comfortable ,but I think it fits the bike. It will need a little more cleanup but it's getting there.
Small update. I have completed the mock-up. Now that I have all the major sub assemblies in place , I will take it all apart and start detailing everything. I am about to order some bolts,and spark plugs from RB motion to replace the molded in detail on the engine. I will also get some rod ends and tubing to make shift linkages etc. The engine will receive all wiring and plumbing. Everything is almost ready to ship to Chrome Tech.
this pics shows the new brake caliper using the rear sprocket as a brake disc, as seen on lots of real choppers.
this pic shows what I'll be using for an intake on the carb
These are the bars I'm using.....modified Revell bars.