Post by Bernard Kron on Jan 1, 2016 21:22:00 GMT -5
’32 Ford 5-Window Highboy
I built this in 10 days with the express goal to get one last model done before the end of 2015. I just made it on the evening of the 31st. It’s what I’ve come to call a “therapy” build – a simple, straightforward project covering familiar territory with idea t o get something done in a ,short period of time that I will be satisfied with and that’s not too technically challenging. They’re usually Revell Deuces, which is right up my comfort zone.
This one isn’t quite Out Of The Box, with a pretty severe redo of the kit stance via a shaved front spring and notched frame rails, and a blown Revell Parts Pak blown Pontiac 421 with carbs and air cleaners from a Revell Parts Pak SBC. The wheels are Halibrand 5-slots I got at the NNL West a few years back. I have no idea of their origin. The rear tires are Herb Deeks truck items and the front “implement” tires are Modelhaus T100’s. Paint is ultra basic, just Duplicolor Gloss Black on the frame and Duplicolor Red Oxide Primer for the bodywork. I neglected to photograph the interior but it’s the kit interior with a seat from the Revell 32 Ford Goodguys Roadster, all finished in blood red leatherette with a black dashboard floor area and steering wheel. The grill graphics are from the ‘50’s and applied by way of a home-made decals.
Post by Bernard Kron on Jan 5, 2016 0:53:25 GMT -5
Thanks guys! As always I appreciate the appreciation! I have to admit, beating up on Revell's venerable Deuce kits is a favorite form of relaxation for me... This was my choice for an end of year quick build when I realized I hadn't done a Deuce in 2015.
Post by Bernard Kron on Jan 11, 2016 13:45:31 GMT -5
Once again, thanks to you all!
Boy Ron, the original Trophy Series release of the '49 Ford was an amazing kit that just kept on giving!
Regarding the engine, the detail on those Parts Pak motors is exceptional, and stripping the chrome off them and treating the exposed metal parts with Metalizers really brings it out. I find that finishing the blower cases in Testors Metalizer Magnesium and with Testors Metalizer Burnt Metal for the end caps creates a pseudo magnesium lightweight look that's very "realistic" in scale. It's actually somewhat inaccurate but looks somehow true-to-life viewed either with the naked eye or in photographs when presented in miniature.